Wednesday, September 04, 2019

Chain of Communication

The following is paraphrased for my benefit. It is taken from an interview with Rex Geveden documented in the book Range: Why Generalist Triumph in a Specialized World by David Epstein.
I expect disagreement with my decisions at the time we're trying to make decisions, and that's a sign of organizational health. After the decisions are made, we want compliance and support, but we have permission to fight a little bit about those things in a professional way. There is a difference between the chain of command and the chain of communication, and that the difference represents a healthy cross-pressure.
I'm going to communicate with all levels of the organization from the CEO all the way down to the interns, and you can't feel suspicious or paranoid about that. I will not intercept your decisions that belong in your chain of command, but I will give and receive information anywhere in the organization, at any time. I just can't get enough understanding of the organization from listening to the voices at the top.