Friday, January 24, 2020

Brooks' Law


Measuring a project solely by person-months makes little sense. If a project could be completed in one year by six people, does that mean that 72 people could complete it in one month? Of course not!

Suppose you have 10 people working on a project that is due for completion in three months. You now believe your are three months behind schedule; that is, you estimate you need 60 more person-months (6 months x 10 people). You cannot add 10 more people and expect the project to be back on schedule. In fact, adding 10 more people would likely delay the project further due to additional training and communications overhead.
Approximately a decade ago, I worked on a big project alone. I approached it as proof-of-concept and focused on getting everything to work. Since ensuring that everything worked was my goal I didn't devote a lot of time to good object-oriented programming practices... I'm not going to apologize for that. I still think I did the right thing to ensure that the project worked. Half of the work I was doing was testing another team's API and helping them get it right. However, the project managers really screwed me over by announcing the project finished when reality I had only finished testing the API provided by the other team. My boss put 20 people on the project to finish it in the next month. This could have been a disaster but she did an amazing job coordinating everyone's efforts. While all those people were helpful with writing documentation and performing testing while the code was being rewritten. It really came down to one person, Charles Forsythe, who took the largely procedural code that I had written and turned it into high quality OO code.
This project would have gone more smoothly had we intentionally planned to throw away my prototype. Also, it is generally a bad idea to try to retrofit quality. It is either a testament that my prototype was of high quality code just not of the required OO paradigm and/or that Charles' coding ability overcame the difficulty of performing a retrofit.
The point of that story is that from the outside it looks like 20 people were thrown at the project to finish in a month. In reality, 1 person finished the project in a month and 19 people cleared the way and focused on tasks that multiplied that 1 person's impact. By doing it this way, my manager avoided the additional training and communications overhead. If they all would have tried to develop code for the project then it would have failed due to Brooks' Law. This isn't a guaranteed way around Brooks' Law but it is a good way to reframe development problems.


Reference:
Brooks, F., The Mythical Man-Month, Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley, 1975.